Thursday, October 21, 2010

Have a Heart

    It's been a good day.  But most are.
    Heard from Charlie, he can make it to the Tamale Supper on the 30th, and since I miss him like a Sister misses her brother, that made me very happy.  Also The Pappy, as my grandsons call my husband had the day off, and we were able to have a late lunch together after I taught my class......Yeah, about that class...
     American Heart Association released the new guidelines for performing CPR on Monday without telling their instructors what to do.  I phoned our training center all day on Monday, and there was no one their to answer my questions.  The voice mail for the training center was not working.  Meanwhile, Good Morning America, The Today Show, Fox in the Morning, CNN and every news media had received a release.  I was spending every minute on the net, reading all articles, and also searching the Instructor's Network of the AHA for some answers.  I was very clear on the method for the untrained rescuer, and for the lay person.  What had me stumped, was how to proceed with the healthcare provider CPR.  I could find no information.  I was stressing.
     Lucky for me, I didn't have any healthcare provider courses scheduled before this morning.  While waiting for the small class of three to arrive I signed onto the American Heart Association's and there was the information I really needed to teach my class that was beginning in 30 minutes.  I was able to do a quick study.  When my students arrived, I had the new information printed for them, and told them they were my practice class.  They seemed to like that idea.  Everything went very good, and we had a good class.
     I knew the AHA was changing the guidelines, but I didn't think it was happening until the meeting on November 12 in Chicago.  Maybe I'm a crybaby, ok, I am a crybaby, but don't you think the Instructors should have know this was changing?  When I did reach someone at my Training Center on the local level, I was read a note by the clerk that said to continue teaching without the updates.  She said we (the AHA instructors) would receive updates in the next two months via the training center here, and until that time we were continue to teach without the updates, and allow the updates to go in effect at the first of the year.
Oh yeah?  Then why?  Why? Why, did AHA put out a press release on October 18?  There is no way, I could not inform my students about the updates.  I would feel so guilty.  Instead, I'm just honest, and we will go over it with the updates.
     Here's the bad part.  I can either hang around and wait for my local training center to update me, which might be January or on November 12  drive to Chicago and for a mere $245 for the day, learn from the people who made the updates.  If I do the Chicago thing, I will be among the first group of instructors with the new updates.  I can probably buy my new video at that time, and there goes another $200.  Not as bad as I'm making it sound.  Who wants to go to Chicago with me?  I'm hoping The Pappy does.
     Had a great week last week.  Grandsons were here on fall break.  Toward the end of the week, I got this knot in the corner of my eye and my whole eye and nose swelled.  Went to the eye Doc, and it was a stye.   Just today have I felt good, and I still get a little tired.  Therefore, the last two days of vacation with the grandsons, I didn't get to do what I wanted.  But we did lot of things before it happened.  We were in the Halloween Parade,  went to a party at the Waterfront that the fire department was having, a chili cookoff at Phonix Hill, went to the Garvin Gate Blues Festival, ate out at Mark's Feed store and got Danny Mac's pizza, stayed all night at the Horseshoe Hotel where they swam in the pool, went shopping at Tuesday Morning and Target, and had several bingo games complete with prizes.  All and all, it was a wonderful week and I can never get enough of them.
     
    

No comments:

Post a Comment